Monday, February 18, 2008

2.18.08

So I walked into class 10 minutes late today, and, thank God, Fineberg didn't embarrass me in front of the whole class...I would have died or made a complete fool of myself. 
In class we looked at some serious videos, I'm so used to seeing funny clips and commercials that I was kind of bummed that the videos today weren't as entertaining. 
I was actually going to skip class today because there was a lecture I wanted to see instead, but I had to meet my Living Obituary partner after class outside the room, so I ended up foregoing the lecture. It was on Dispelling (or another word meaning that) Native American Stereotypes in Film. I thought it would be very worth missing a day of CSR 309. 
It turns out there would have been an amazing speaker tomorrow, but she got sick so it turned out to be cancelled. It was supposed to be Wilma Mankiller, the First Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation speaking in LOEB. I was SO MAD when I found out it was going to be cancelled. I would have loved to have been there, in the presence of a true leader. I know that I'm going to want to read up on her to see if she would reschedule her lecture. I think it would be of help for people in the leadership class to have attended too. There is much need for a strong woman leader to inspire other women to lead. 
I met with my Living Obit partner today, we talked for a long time in the Union after class. I think if not for the sake of doing the living obit., that it is a good exercise for just getting to know people. 
I sometimes feel bad for the leaders because I know what it's like to be one, or to be appointed as one. I am a leader in another realm of my life besides 309, and I have a pretty large responsibility, I'd say. Being in charge of the models team and directing models and team members is hard, and there are about 130 people that I am influencing, corresponding, working with and leading. 
I know what it's like to try to keep people on task and to form cohesiveness when people aren't willing to give their all. 
I know what it takes to be a good leader, you have to multitask everything, even your personality. Being stern and direct is just as important as being team "cheerleader" and being well liked. I don't know how much people devote to their own individual tasks of being leaders in their own way, but it gets tiring. 
So, for now in 309, I am complacent with being just a team member, as long as people don't try to shove me into a lazy category. I work just as hard as they do and possibly even harder, so NO OFFENSE team leaders and sub leaders.... please remember that there are some of us that have more responsibilities than you may think, on our plates. Part of being a good leader is not spreading yourself thin and knowing your limits to what you are capable of, I know mine. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Daniel W. Edwards said...

So to sort of try to tie your comment on my page into my comment on your page I think this class challenges us to a age old concept that there is never enough hours in the day to get the things done that we want to get done. I have several things going on outside of 309 and I am a sub leader in 309 and I work full time for itap monday - friday and I am a full time student. This class was really great this week though. I have to admit Feinberg may not have changed my life but he's surely made an impact.