Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Seminar

The Kirk Weisler seminar was more valuable than I had initially expected, but I really didn't expect anything in the beginning. I've seen various speakers and they are all great. There's nothing really different about each one, but they are all similar in the sense that they speak with conviction, have a sense of humor, and are amazing orators. 
I really admire people who can speak in front of a large audience, especially made up of people not in their age bracket. It's hard to communicate to different generations, in the way they need to communicate. 
The best thing that I got from the seminar is probably the book list that he gave us. I get really excited when people tell me about books they love to read, because even though I may not have the "time" to read, I do love it. 
I took lots of notes during his seminar, and most of them were key phrases and concepts he used about leadership. His advice to also write pretty much everything down, and always carry something to write with and write on is something I respect very much. I keep a moleskine notepad with me at almost ALL times, for just those kinds of occasions and a rare epiphany I might come across. I helps me with my creativity, and for organizing my life.
Kirk was an amazing source of inspiration and exemplary leadership. The only thing i didn't connect as well to him was on his talks about merging into corporate America with the ideals and concepts he was relaying to us. My goal is to not join corporate America, but to stay small, with independent ideals and focus on the "small business" side of things. To focus on personal identity, intimate connections with people, and a close community.
Overall, he was very good and made the 5 hours seem less long. But it was still 5 hours, and still felt long.


No comments: